8.27.2011

Week 7 of Training... Back to Work!

Saturday marked 6 weeks of training, which is precisely how long most sources say it takes for training to take its toll and the body to adjust enough to see some results. I finished out that first segment of my base with a 10k race- which turned out to be more of a hard tempo as I lost motivation during the second half. I am now ready to get back to work and realize just how far I have to go in the next few months. Hoping to adjust to this new mileage and higher intensity well!

Sunday- 8.28.11
Long, easy: 12M

  • Surface: Memorial Park for first 2M & last 2M, streets for middle 8M
  • Total Time: 1:25:00 (7:08 AP)
  • Pace Progression: 7:45, 7:18, 7:22, 6:46, 6:55, 7:02, 7:01, 7:06, 7:16, 6:55, 6:57, 6:38
  • Comments: Ran with 2 men and a lady from BCRR this morning... first time running with a group since college! Loved how quickly it made the run go, but found it a little different stopping for a drink every 3-4M and having the pace jump around so much. Definitely a good thing for me to get used to though!! Very thankful!

Monday- 8.29.11
Rest Day.

Tuesday- 8.30.11
Workout: 1M warm-up + 6M progressive (7:00-6:45-6:30) + 1m warm-down
  • Surface: Memorial Park loop
  • Total Time: w/u & c/d - easy, progression - 40:07 (6:41 AP)
  • Pace Progression (2M increments): 6:55, 6:41, 6:27
  • Comments: Thankful to have a training partner (Nicole Richardson) for the w/u, c/d, and first 2M of the progression. Definitely a HARD effort today- not at all as simple as it should have been. My arms are strong, but my glutes, hamstrings, and calves are weak. I am really struggling with lung capacity right now as well. My breathing has been very labored.
Supplemental Work: 2 x 45" core (pedestal routine, arm/leg extension, v-sit russian twist, bridge); 3x12 of 4 strength supersets (very challenging strength workout... I will probably be sore tomorrow!)

Wednesday- 8.31.11
Medium long, easy: 10M 80'
  • Surface: Memorial Park Loop
  • Total Time: 80:00 - Avg Pace/ Mileage guess is 8:00/ 10M (no garmin)
  • Pace Progression: N/A
  • Comments: VERY relaxed run today which was much needed. I accidentally forget the Garmin at home, but I think it was a blessing in disguise. Just enjoyed a lackadaisical run on the trail.
Thursday- 9.1.11
Easy: 7M
Strides: 6x100m
  • Surface: Memorial Park loop
  • Total Time: 54:50 (7:50 AP)
  • Pace Progression: 8:45, 8:14, 7:55, 7:36, 7:35, 7:32, 7:16
  • Comments: Starting to wonder if the increased mileage is a bad idea for me? None of my "easy" runs this week have been anywhere close to the paces they used to be. I don't feel sore or beat up, but I just am not running nearly as fast- even with the same effort levels (if not more). Increased the length of my strides today. Rather than .06M, I went .11M - so almost doubling them. Felt good and fast on these.
Supplemental Work: Form Drills + 2 x 45" core (pedestal routine, v-sit russian twist, opposite arm/ opposite leg extensions)

Friday- 9.2.11
Workout: 2M warm-up + 6 x 5' @10k pace, 90" recovery + 2M warm-down (took 3' instead of 90" recovery after 4th surge)
  • Surface: Memorial Park side trail - gravel is slightly less loose than the loop
  • Total Time: 30:00 hard running (5:55AP) - 5.2M hard running total
  • Pace Progression for surges: 5:55, 6:02, 5:52, 5:59, 5:49, 5:54
  • Comments: Definitely a good, challenging workout for me. I was pleasantly surprised by the paces though, as I had expected the goal of 6:10 too difficult. Looks like I underestimated the training thus far. I would still like to work on my breathing, though. That seems to be my big struggle right now... managing to keep it controlled and calm.
Supplemental Work: 3x12 of 4 strength supersets

Saturday- 9.3.11
Easy: 7M
Strides: 6x100m

  • Surface: Memorial Park loop and some pavement
  • Total Time: 56:30 (8:04 AP)
  • Pace Progression: N/A - did not have the Garmin set to auto-lap
  • Comments: Took things very easy today to get in a good recovery before tomorrow's long run. Scratched the strides to be safe with my foot that has been aching this week.


Week 7 Total Mileage- 54M (1 long, 1 medium long, 2 workouts, 2 easy)
CUMULATIVE SEASON MILEAGE: 276M

No comments:

Post a Comment