7.15.2012

Let's try this again! (41M)

Let's just say I got a few nice reminders this last week in terms of running. Since you all are already here, I'll go ahead and share some of them with you. :)

1. Don't take running (or any exercise, for that matter) for granted. It's a gift and a joy and an honor to be able to have control over your body, feel the breeze against your skin, and set out on your own two feet. The feelings you get from exercising or reaching a training goal are unbeatable.

2. Don't panic when you have to do some scratch outs and revisions on a training plan. Life happens and when you think about the thousands of days in your life, taking a day or two off to nurse an injury or switching up a few workouts is absolutely nothing to be concerned over! In fact, that's often a wise choice.
3. Trust your body and don't be afraid to be uncomfortable. Sometimes it takes two or three minutes of being uncomfortable for a run to feel completely fantastic, so don't put a cap on the effort in your run just because you're feeling a little "stiff". Give yourself the freedom to run whatever pace feels right to YOU on that particular day! 

So, now that you have an idea of what I've been learning, I'll explain what happened. Last week I woke up with strong pain in my peroneal tendon on Monday morning. I got in my full run anyways (simply relocated from the roads to the grass track), but knew something wasn't right. After resting on Tuesday morning I saw a trainer and he confirmed that a little rest should do the trick. I took all of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning off, giving the tendon over 3 full days off, and then eased back into the running (without pain! YES!). The time off was probably just a blessing in disguise on many levels, so I'm not concerned about what I missed last week and I am looking forward to this fresh week of training. Since I did not do any of the planned workouts after Monday, I will just be pushing last week's runs up to this week. 

Sunday, July 15th
7M run in 52:30 (7:30 AP) on the Trinity Trails + 6 x 20" stride, 40" rest
10' easy jog to warm up + 3 x 15 full body weights workout
COMMENTS: I was blessed with soft surfaces, a slightly cooler morning, and the company of Jake and Josh for this run, so it was very enjoyable. Nothing too exciting to share, though! We started with a 1/2 mile warm up, then went 8:09, 7:37, 7:33, 7:13, 7:03, 7:09, last 1/2 mile at 7:10 pace. The guys had another 9 miles and with a workout left, so that kept the last few miles nicely in check. Strides felt good... the recovery is finally getting to be too long, so i will move up to 30", 30" this week.


Monday, July 16th
5M run in 37:39 (7:28 AP) on DBU's gravel trail + 6 x 30" stride, 30" rest
COMMENTS: Nice run this morning once I woke up; definitely a higher effort than I have been giving so far this season, but much more in line with what I have done in the past. I will say that the shorter runs are make maintaining a certain average pace for your run much more difficult! :) Miles were 8:53, 7:36, 7:11, 6:59, 6:46 and I followed it up with 6 x 30" stride, 30" rest. No foot pain today but my calves were pretty tight and sore... could be from the calf raises I did yesterday.


Tuesday, July 17th
Core workout in AM
30' run around Grand Prairie + 2M of 200 fast, 200 float in PM
COMMENTS: The new strength workouts and faster daily runs have definitely knocked me down... I was completely zapped today. Thankfully Katie kept me motivated and allowed me to still get in the full workout as planned. All in all, it probably wasn't any better than the first time we did this, but on fresher legs I have no doubt it would've been. 13:50 for the full 2 miles with 200s in 43, 40, 40, 40, 38, 38, 37, 37.

Wednesday, July 18th
rest day... including a massage! :)

Thursday, July 19th
10M in 77:10 (7:42 AP) at Kiest Park with Jake and Pauley in the AM
Weights workout in the PM
COMMENTS: I'm still feeling very run down and fatigued, but I will say that today was better than Tuesday. I'll spend tomorrow recovering on the grass track and hope to back up to par by Saturday morning! Today's run was a 1/2 mile warm up, 8:28, 8:02, 8:01, 7:40, 7:29, 7:24, 7:26, 7:20, 7:13, last 1/2 mile in 7:02 pace. No foot pain still, so that's certainly a blessing!

Friday, July 20th
40' run in the neighborhood + 8 x 30", 30"
COMMENTS: I was definitely still tired on this run and opted for a timed effort as opposed to a measured one. I kept things EXTREMELY relaxed and ended up thoroughly enjoying my run! I love to get lost in thoughts and sights while running! Got in some solid uphill/downhill strides after the run... Should be feeling great tomorrow after this!

Saturday, July 21st
2M warm up + 6 x alt "miles" at Trinity Trails
COMMENTS: Ran with Katie, Jake, and Hanna this morning on the trails and things worked perfectly. My stomach was not very friendly today, but pacing wise we hit the nail on the head! Goal: 2M, 1M, 1M with 1M float in between; paces of 6:30, 7:30, 6:15, 7:30, 6:00. Actual: 6:28, 6:22, 7:22, 6:13, 7:25, 5:59... AKA, perfect! No need to beat the workout today... this was exactly what we were aiming for! So very thankful to have some hard working, talented friends to run with on these days!!

Total Weekly Mileage: 41M


No comments:

Post a Comment