3.14.2011

Letting everything heal up before more racing!

Sunday, March 13th
90' w/ the last 20' steady at White Rock Lake. Got in 12.15M; spent the first 70' at 7:45 pace and finished off the steady portion of the run with 6:32, 6:21, 6:19 miles. Very pleased with today's run... just wish I could do more of this type of work. I'm definitely ready to be healthy for a full season so I can actually enjoy the training process.

Monday, March 14th
6M on Merrifield road + 8 x hill sprints- Finished the run with an average pace of 7:00. (7:45, 7:08, 7:09, 6:46, 6:42, 6:39). It felt so nice not to push the pace or worry about picking it up... Merrifield lets you do that naturally with the hills! The hill sprints went well today after Jake reminded me to stay on my toes... I think I'd forgotten that?! Ha! My hip is still very painful, but I'm confident it will heal soon.
25 x "Around the World" core, Jay Johnson's myrtyl routine
For those curious, "Around the World" core can be found here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486
I love the workout because it works all areas but you don't need any equipment so it can be done virtually anywhere.

Tuesday, March 15th
Rest. Still battling the same headache/ feverish feeling that I've had for the past week and a half. Ready to be over this.

Wednesday, March 16th
30' warm up, 6 x 1k (2:20 recovery) @ 10k pace and cutting down, 15' cool down. Actual times were 3:44, 3:42, 3:38, 3:36, 3:33, 3:31. Got the workout in and hit each split as I needed to, but I still have mixed feelings about the workout. I felt very much in control during the recovery (by the start of each new rep I was ready to roll), but the paces felt much more intense than I expected them to. I was definitely having to work hard in order to hit most of them. Maybe I just wasn't awake yet? Still battling the hip and head...

Thursday, March 17th
Core workout
65' easy on the trails at River Legacy Park, averaging 7:53.... My stomach was in absolute shambles. Possibly from the antibiotics I started today. I kept this very relaxed, but my legs still felt tired and heavy. Not a good day, health-wise. Hoping for a better run tomorrow, but still thankful to get one in today!

Friday, March 18th
4M... really working to average 8:43 pace. I ended postponing the last 2 planned miles (originally had 6 scheduled) and strides for this afternoon. I just did not feel good this morning and wanted to give my body a chance to really wake up. I don't think my hip would've allowed for strides this morning if it was absolutely  necessary. Beyond ready to be feeling good and healthy again...
2M relaxed + 6 x strides

Saturday, March 19th
3M warm up + 2 x 3k @ tempo (3' recovery). I did the 3M warm up at 9:20 pace and felt like I was working, which worried me a bit, but by starting the reps with Jake's half marathon race start, I had good company in settling into tempo pace. I completed the first 3k at 6:11 pace and the second 3k at 6:01 pace. I was definitely working, but at the end of the 2nd rep I was getting excited because I had not expected to get the workout in on pace after such an off-kilter warm up. The scheduled workout was 3 x 3k, but my 3' recovery period after the second rep put me going uphill on a banked road. Within the first 30" I could tell something was very wrong with my left hip. I attempted to start the final 3k anyways but couldn't eek out a solid step... I wasn't even able to walk back to the finish and had to catch a ride. After some intense self-massage and stretching I was back to moving fluidly with much less pain, but it was too late to get in the last rep. VERY worried about this nagging problem that doesn't seem to be healing. Consistency has been my greatest weakness this season and everyone claims it's the most important component of one's training.

Mileage for the week: 48 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment