5.19.2012

Eyes on the prize! (30M)

I've finally set a goal for this training season. The long term goal that Jake and I set last winter was to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Trials Marathon - I've got four years to make some major jumps in fitness (especially considering I have yet to race a half), but that doesn't scare me at all. I'm a math person and I realize that a slow and steady approach is the best way to reach my goal. This fall, the plan is to run the DRC Half on November 4th in 1:20 or better. I have a solid training group with the Greater Texas Track Club ladies, I've got a great coach who had me in shape for a 6:10 pace half last fall, and I've a God who's been very gracious with my health this spring so far. I'm not naive or crazy enough to think this is well within reach - I know it's going to take a lot of hard work, sacrifices, and careful decisions, but I do believe it's possible and I'm ready to do everything I can to get there.

Sunday, May 20th
6M run at WRL in 45:32 + core
COMMENTS: Very nice run. I kept the first 5.5 miles really comfortable and gave myself time to wake up, then ran the last half mile hard. I hope to make this a habit on long run days since I will be finishing my long runs on the same course as my goal race this fall. By the time November 4th rolls around, it'll be instinct to run down that last 1/2 mile hard! Paces per mile: 8:31, 7:48, 7:37, 7:31, 7:17, (7:14/5:57).

Monday, May 21st
40' run on the grass track + 2x100m form drills + 8' abs workout (level 2)
COMMENTS: Nice relaxed run with Linet this morning. Nothing fancy to report. :)
20' bike during lunch

Tuesday, May 22nd
4.86M run w/ 2x60", 2x40", 2x30" hill sprints
COMMENTS: It was supposed to be 4x60", but due to a watch alert error, I had to improvise the second half of the workout! Hill rep paces were 6:00, 6:06, 5:57, 5:45, 5:46, 5:36 respectively. My foot was pretty sore, but nothing too alarming.

Wednesday, May 23rd
strength and core in the morning + 30' bike at lunch

Thursday, May 24th
40' run in the trails at Mountain View
COMMENTS: Uneasy stomach last night and today so I had to keep things gentle and easy. Ran with Jake and Josh Pauley... no foot pain! :)

Friday, May 25th
40' run in Grand Prairie with 4x300m on the track
COMMENTS: Stomach was still very uneasy so I considered dropping the 300's. I ran so slow for the first 25 minutes though that I thought I'd at least try throwing in some quality. Ended up with 56,57,56,56 (full 500m float recovery, so nothing fancy). My foot felt fine, but I definitely hit a wall every time I reached 230m!

Saturday, May 26th
18' warm up + light drills and strides + Mansfield Memorial Day 5k race + 2x40" pedestal routine
COMMENTS: This was a last minute decision, but I'm glad we got it in. I needed to get a better gauge of my fitness level before we start workouts and I wanted it to be at a small, low key event. I had trouble pacing and started way too quick, but that will come back with time. Obviously I was very weak aerobically (still feel strong muscularly), but without any threshold or long runs I couldn't expect anything different! Average pace per mile: 5:59, 6:16, 6:18, 5:34 (last .12 of race)


Total mileage for the week: 31

No comments:

Post a Comment