5.27.2012

Aerobic strength is the key! (34M)

One of the most important lessons that this time off has taught me is how valuable aerobic training is for distance runners. You can be incredibly strong and still not be fit when it comes to race day; this is because when your aerobic system wears down, your muscular strength doesn't matter anymore. I'm definitely looking forward to adding some longer runs, tempos, and progression runs to my schedule now that I've spent a few months getting used to running again.

Yesterday I ran a 5k in Mansfield for my first true quality run since October. I'll now be able to use that time to figure out pace guidelines since I'll start doing workouts in two weeks! This week I'll continue with the low mileage, easy running, and structured strides; I'll finish out the week with a free 4 mile social race in Dallas! Next week is a down week (I've been working to build mileage back since my stress fracture and haven't taken one yet), and then I'll finally start up my training for the season! Yipee!! :)

Sunday, May 27th
56' easy run at White Rock Lake + 20' light core work
COMMENTS: This week I ran the start of the DRC half course and turned around 30 minutes in. I kept things nice and relaxed but was still moving pretty good by the end of the run. I came back on a slightly different route, but had to tack two minutes on to get to the 56'. My stomach bothered me quite a bit, but other than that, nothing special to speak of! Just another pretty morning for a run (minus the gnats!)!

Monday, May 28th
39' run on the trails with Jake and 4x60" hill surges
COMMENTS: Nice run this morning. It's been taking me a long time to wake up on my runs, but once I get going things feel smooth and I feel strong muscularly. I'm definitely VERY weak aerobically still though, so I get out of breath easily. I suppose that will improve when I add to my mileage and start doing some aerobic threshold work here in a few weeks.
strength + core workout in the evening

Tuesday, May 29th
40' run through the neighborhood + 2x20" form drills
COMMENTS: I ran the first 15' with Jake and then finished out the run solo. My muscles were tired today - not sure if it's from yesterday's strength workout or just general fatigue - but other than that I felt good. My form feels surprisingly smooth and controlled even when I'm tired, so I'm excited to see how that will help me in the long run.

Wednesday, May30th
48' run in Grand Prairie w/ 4x400m (mile pace), 400m float + strength workout
COMMENTS: Stormed in the morning, so everything got pushed back to lunch. I ran faster than usual for the first 3.5 miles and felt really good (aside from my foot which was a bit achey). It was hot and windy, but I decided to give the 400's a try anyways (I had considered changing them to 200's to avoid some of the wind since it was so strong). The first one was a brutal 82", followed by 79, 80, 80. My form felt great and I felt much more fluid and strong than on the 300's last week, but every time I hit the wind it was like running into a wall! Needless to say, this workout was much harder than I would have liked or expected it to be!

Thursday, May 31st
rest day

Friday, June 1st
40' run on DBU's gravel trail + 6 relaxed strides
COMMENTS: Very nice, natural run on the gravel trail this morning. I started with a comfortable trot and progressed to a good, solid pace naturally. I ended the run feeling great and wanted to keep going! The strides felt good - This is the most controlled and natural I've felt doing strides for as long as I can remember.

Saturday, June 2nd
20' warm up w/ Katie & Linet + DRC Bloomin' 4 Mile Race in 24:47 + light core
COMMENTS: I ran MUCH smarter this week than last week. Average paces for each mile were 6:09, 5:56, 6:15, 6:06, 5:35 (for the last 20 seconds). It looks like I was all over the place, but I wasn't - there was a super long downhill in the second mile, and since it was out and back, that means there was a super long climb in the third mile. I was pumped in the first mile because of how relaxed that pace felt! The course was long by about 200 meters, but I ended up averaging 6:05 pace, which is much faster than I expected. I'm really excited to see what 22 weeks of true training can do! Can't wait for November!

Weekly Mileage Total: 36 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment