Easy, Long, HMP Workout: 12M w/ 8-11 @ HMP
- Surface: Sidewalks and Streets
- Total Time: 81:52 (6:53 AP)
- Pace Progression: 7:59, 7:16, 7:23, 7:07, 7:06, 6:54, 6:55, 6:54, 6:12, 6:07, 6:05, 6:39
- Comments: Very nice afternoon run with my husband! I was concerned that we ran the first part too steady for the HMP portion, but those 3M ended feeling great once I made the jump in pace and got settled. The last mile could easily have been kept at HMP, but no need to push buttons now!
Supplemental Work: 2x12 strength session
3M easy shakeout with Jake (8:15 AP) + 2x60" pedestal routine
Workout: 2M warm up + 3 x 2M @HMP, 2' rest + 2M cool down
- Surface: Memorial Park Trail
- Total Time: 16:40, 37:04 (6:11 AP), 15:30
- Pace Progression: 6:12, 6:10, 6:10
- Comments: I struggled a lot more with today's workout than with the previous HMP workouts we've done. My breathing was more strained and my muscles felt tight and heavy. I think part of the problem was that I never got warm (first run in the cooler weather), so I will have to experiment with that over these next few weeks. Glad Jake made the call to do only 3 reps this week. I had planned on 4 but I think that would have overdone things today. Better to save the extra effort for a day I'm fully healthy.
Supplemental Work: 3x15 strength session
- Surface: Treadmill (1% incline)
- Total Time: 54:35 (7:46 AP)
- Pace Progression: Not sure- Started at 9:20, spent 2nd mile in 8:00 range, spent the remainder between 7:47 and 7:19.
- Comments: After the initial shock of oversleeping and the rushed decision making process- I opted for a 7M run on the treadmill. I will tack on 3M tonight with strides and just swap today's run with tomorrow's. It will work out well because I'll have Friday to run easy and Saturday to knock out my workout. The run felt good aside from my head and throat. No muscle fatigue or soreness.
3M double in 23:20 (7:46 AP) + 0.5M strides (4:24 AP)
Easy, Medium Long: 9M
- Surface: Dirt path and streets near Rice
- Total Time: 73:00 (8:06 AP)
- Pace Progression: 9:47, 8:42, 7:59, 7:49, 7:50, 8:17, 7:42, 7:35, 7:17
- Comments: Not sure that my Garmin worked well this morning. We were in downtown Houston and Jake ran with me the entire time. The first 2 miles were definitely slow, but not slow enough that we only ran 8:06 pace for the run. Jake's thinking it was closer to 10 miles altogether. Not a bad run... Still pretty tired (sleepy tired and tight/ heavy muscles both).
Supplemental Work: 3x12 upper body strength, 3x10 varying leg raises
Strides: 0.5M of strides
- Surface: Memorial Park dirt loop
- Total Time: N/A (no watch today!)
- Comments: Very nice, comfortable run. I started with a slow jog and finished at a solid pace, feeling very good doing so. Did the strides on Memorial Park's concrete track... 100m stride on the straights and 100m jog on the curves for mile (1/2 mile total of strides).Very happy with this morning as a recovery day.
2M easy shakeout in PM
Workout: 3M warm up + 12x400 (60" rest) + 1M cool down
- Surface: hard track in Hull!
- Pace Progression: 83,81,81,80,79,80,79,79,78,78,77,77 (5:17 AP)
- Comments: I was definitely happy to see what this pace felt like - certainly was not what I expected. Seems like the half marathon work was more effective than I thought! 60" is a lot of rest and only 12 reps is short, but still... 3M at 5:17 pace is a blessing after months of 6:15 pace work.
Week 12 Total Mileage: 60.5M
Cumulative Seasonal Mileage: 556M